Trip to Mapleland





My recent voyage on our beautiful planet was to Mapleland, Trudeauland or famously and commonly known as Canada. 

I roamed the frozen land for 5 months and a half, precisely in Montreal. I must say as a resident who lived her whole life on a tropical island, the snow was a backhand slap on both my cheeks (on my face, of course. Though the numbness was felt on my backsides every time I lie on the snow for photography purposes). 

The first road trip I made as to Quebec City, precisely to Village Valcartier, which is a snow station as well as an indoor water park. I definitely stayed in the water park the whole day. Had a blast! If you're in Quebec or going to Quebec and want some tropical air and water, head to Valcartier. Don't forget your swimming suits and your flip flop or sandals to wear inside. You can't wear your snow boots or any snow apparels. You will remain barefoot most of the time though and my favorite ride was the lazy river.

Back to Montreal, I stayed mostly indoors because it was snowing like crazy. I experienced three blizzards there, including one on my birthday. But I did went out from time to time to play in the snow, walk in the parks and go to the... library. Had some dinner out in different restaurants and I must pizza made by Arabs were goooood. 

My next road trip was to Toronto. It was not snowed that much there, it was even sunny but man, there was a breeze that went through your bones. I even had to go to a Starbucks to wee, and I promised myself I would remain faithful to Tim Hortons and it's Vanille Francaise. I spent the New Year (December 2016) in Toronto, eating one of the best steak and lunch at Hakka restaurant. I nearly thought I would finally gain some weight there, with the cold and the food there but nope, fast metabolism stroke every time. The road trip back to Montreal was a blur since I slept most of the time. Still, the landscapes are breathtaking and some creepy especially the small roads. Only thing I wanted to do was roll down the window and let the cold breeze caressing my face but then I would get frostbite and probably lose my nose. 

The third road trip was the quickest and delicious because I got to eat Nandos after a long time. Yes, there is a Nandos in Ottawa. Stayed in the Marriott Residence for two days and one night and it was a pretty decent establishment, I still remember the cute waiter during breakfast buffet. I looked like death because I did not have my coffee yet and of course I didn't think to comb my hair. But when I was able to make myself look human as possible, I went to the Parliament palace and it was magnificent. Compare to my country's parliament, this one looks straight from a contemporary movie. 

Image result for canada parliament

See what I am talking about! LIT, isn't it? 
Unfortunately, I did not see Justin Trudeau, not even a glimpse of the man. And then it was time to head back to Montreal which was half day road trip if you stopped two times (wee pause and burger pause at Centrale Bergham). 

Back in Montreal again I got used to the routine of walking to the parks, staying at the apartment sipping some hot cappuccino, go to watch the kids basketball match at the sport centre and try not to die of the cold whenever I am out. The two stores that I would always go to were Jean Coutu which is a drugstore and Dollarama which has the dopiest and cheapest trinkets, diys, books, snacks, toys etc... I brought lots and lots of makeup for gift giving and for me (brought my first NYX palette), Star Wars toys, souvenirs from key chains to I LOVE CANADA shirts and prisma pencils. If I stayed longer I would have paid lots for extra luggage. Well, I had to leave some books and stationary there, to my utmost sadness. 

Forward to April 2017, snow started to melt and people started to ride their bicycle, more children were playing in the parks and some daredevils were even wearing tank tops in 2 degrees weather. I still wore my sweaters but abandoned my snow boots and knee socks. I started to go out more during the day, even got used to the neighborhood and walked as far as I could around the blocks. I never got lost! Felt so proud since I was alone with just my jean backpack and no one I could call. 

In May, I took my fourth, last and longest road trip to Ontario. I slept a lot on the road, we had to stop three times to eat and just walk around. The destination was the one of the wonders of the world, Niagara Falls. I can't described the beauty of that place, it literally takes your breath away. It's powerful. I was surprised that I didn't cry. The boat ride was informative and smooth, I could see the other boat with blue raincoats humans suggesting that they're from the US border. I was wearing the red plastic raincoat which I still keep as a souvenir. Of all the road trips I've taken, this one was the cherry on top. It's engraved in my mind and I hope I could go back again and take more selfies with the falls behind me. I was so awestruck I didn't took any. THE MILLENNIAL HORROR! 

They built a colorful city around the falls. A PG Las Vegas, I played on the coin machines, and I got 1500 TICKETS. I was aiming for 2000 to get the donut floater but ugh, I was getting obsessed. I had a delicious lunch at an Indian buffet restaurant, a nutella crepe at Juliette et Chocolaterie and I bought some fidget spinners as they were becoming a trend. Little did I know I would hate the damn things in few weeks. The best picture I took was in the Dinosaur Adventure Golf with a T-Rex which I named Sebastian. 


Isn't he cute?


Then, back in Montreal, I spent my last days in Mapleland packing, 
drinking ginger ale, spent the afternoons in parks and eat some veggie chips. 
And on the 30th May 2017, I was back on my island in the Indian Ocean after 2 long flights.

I will go back one day, that's for sure. Maybe Alberta and Vancouver this time. 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead Book Review

Vortex Visions Book Review

Chosen Champion Book Review