Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead Book Review

28006120


Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #3


EPIC-TASTIC FINALE 

I took my time with this one. It was worth savouring each page. I can't express how much I love this series. Magnus, Samirah, Blitz, Hearth, Mallory, T.J and Half-born have become my friends (in my head). The book has the typical Riordan's ingredients. It is hilarious, the adventures just don't stop, the actions even how gruesome it is, you are not horrified, you root for the characters, the plot has a flow and you learn tons on specific mythology, and this case, it's on Norse. 

I could not help myself picturing Loki, Odin, Thorn, Heimdall and Frigg as the actors in Marvel's Thor. Though picturing Thor, Chris Hemsworth as a Metallica fan who likes to fart a lot was hard. I had to stretch my imagination there. 
I won't summarise the story - those who read the first two will know what is going to happen in this and why our young (mostly dead heroes) are hell-bent in stopping Loki's plan. The adventure began on the Big Banana (No, I am not making that up) and our heroes visit different locations on Midgard (Earth - for uncultured people) such as Boston, Jorvik (England), Flam (Norway - totally calling Norway Flam now, a tribute to Half-born) and to the Sahara (I forgot what it is called but its where the big battle during Ragnarok is supposed to happen). 

From getting captured by nine women and drag in the deep, to Magnus brilliant flything with Loki, the adventures kept rolling. I wanted more stops, more battles with other creatures and maybe meet Otis the goat. When Magnus, Hearth and Blitz travelled to Alfheim (home of the light Elves) to get the whetstone, it reminded of Bilbo Baggins going to the Erebor to steal the Arkenstone from Smaug. A cave, pile of treasures, a dragon and a cut to the heart. Well, in The Hobbit, they did not have to eat the heart of the dragon. I laughed so hard when Magnus cremated it accidentally and then the blood made him hear crows and goats.

Alex's ceramic warrior, namely Pottery Barn's fight with the giant in King's Square, in Jorvik was entertaining. T.J permanent surprise eyebrow (because the giant's heart exploded and a shard lodged about his eyeball) was another hilarious addition. Half-born beheading another Giant who insulted his hometown was inspiring and Magnus using crows to distract a giant (EAT CROWS) was everything. I can't make any of these up. This book is a comedy, entertainment and mythology goal. If you want your teens to start reading, give them a Rick Riordan's book! Give them all of it! 

It was bittersweet to read the last book. I love the ending. The young heroes won't die anytime soon but they will in the future. For now, they can chill, kill each other in Valhalla and take epic quests which could kill them before Ragnarok. Happy Life! well, Death! 


After reading this book, I will be endorsing this motto, "Eat Chocolate first, destroy the world later." 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summoned to Thirteenth Grave Book Review

Vortex Visions Book Review